How to Declutter Your Edmonton Condo
Living in a cluttered condo can be an overwhelming experience, which is why you need to declutter. And looking at the amount of junk lying around in your home, you probably think that is easier said than done.
Well, it doesn’t have to be; using the following tips, you can get your condo to feel big again in no time. But before you start, let us look at the benefits you’ll enjoy after you declutter your Edmonton Condo.
Benefits of Decluttering Your Edmonton Condo
· Boost productivity- When one is surrounded by clutter, it can be quite difficult to focus. You will find it difficult to completely ignore all the mess at the periphery of your vision, and this split attention eventually results in reduced productivity.
Nonetheless, everything changes once you declutter. With a clean and organized environment, your concentration levels will increase, and with it, your productivity and creativity.
· Your Edmonton condo becomes easier to clean- Since decluttering involves getting rid of what you don’t need, you always end up with fewer things to clean. It also means you have less stuff to maneuver around, making it easy to access every nook and crack you want to clean in your condo.
· Get rid of allergens- Allergens like pet hair, dust, and pollen will quickly accumulate in a cluttered condo, which explains why you’re always sneezing. As you get rid of all the unwanted things in your home, you will also be removing the dust and pollen that might have settled. It also means improved airflow in your condo, improving the conditions of any residents with allergies or asthma.
· Find missing things- If a ghost didn’t steal them, items mysteriously disappearing in your condo could be explained by the amount of junk you have lying around. When you declutter, you are most likely to rediscover the important items you considered lost and gone. Therefore, you won’t have to repurchase some things or stress over a lost item of personal significance.
· Reduced Stress- Nobody wants to live in a cluttered home. You always worry about how you’ll clean your house, moving around is an inconvenience, your senses are overloaded, and having over can be outright embarrassing. But once you declutter, you break free of all these shackles. Your home feels calm again, your senses are free, and you can comfortably invite visitors for a meal or two.
· You sleep better- Once decluttering returns your peace of mind and confidence, you can now sleep better in your home. Also, clutter around the bed area can disrupt your sleep patterns by filling your mind with anxious thoughts. Once you get rid of these, you can now have a comfortable, good night’s sleep.
· Saves you money- Once you declutter, you have a sense of what you actually need and are thus able to avoid making unnecessary purchases. Sometimes, you will even have enough valuable junk to make some quick cash through garage sales, car boot sales, or on eBay.
These are just but a few of the benefits you will enjoy once you get rid of all the stuff crowding your Edmonton condo. Now that you’re motivated to declutter your space let us talk about how you can go about it.
1. Take it a little at a time
If you have an overly cluttered condo, forget about ripping through your items all at once but rather think things through and take them slow. Many home design experts agree trying to do it all in one big swoop will probably create more of a mess and leave you stressed.
So, try to take it a space at a time. You can start with a corner of your living room today, another corner tomorrow, your bedroom the next day; just take it slow. By decluttering small areas of your home, the whole process feels manageable, and things fall into perspective. Over time, you will have a tidy Edmonton condo without feeling exhausted or making costly mistakes.
2. Set goals
As you plan to declutter your Edmonton condo, set a goal for each session.
3. Create a decluttering checklist
Even as you slowly purge parts of your Edmonton condo, don’t let it be spontaneous. Create a decluttering list around the specific area of your apartment you are cleaning out. This means you have a broad idea of what to take out even before you start decluttering, rather than having to make a keep-or-not decision for every item you encounter as you declutter.
As you work through a particular room, check items off your list as you go.
4. Ask for help from friends and family
If you want to finish decluttering your Edmonton condo in a short period or just want some moral support, you can always ask those close to you to chip in. It can be a fun way to go about freeing up space and catch up while also giving each other some home care advice.
5. Use the 4-container method
This method is an extremely effective technique when it comes to decluttering an Edmonton condo. It is quite simple; you get four boxes and label them under the following categories
· Trash- In this box, you will put everything you do not need, but it is also not worth selling or donating. Things like worn out clothing and irreparable items fit in this category.
· Give away or sell- This box will include everything you don’t need but feel can be of use to someone else. Therefore, you can either donate them or get some quick cash from garage sales or eBay ads.
· Storage- This box fits items that you don’t need at the moment but may need at a future date or don’t want to part with. A good example is out-of-season clothing. Make a good inventory of these items, so you don’t forget where to find them when you need them.
· Put away- The final box will include items that you need and use on a regular basis. There shouldn’t be a lot of things as you have to ensure that you have adequate space for each. Therefore, assess and reassess your essential items and try to come up with a practical storage solution if your Edmonton condo lacks enough space to fit all.
6. Manage your Paperwork
Paperwork makes for the messiest look in a cluttered condo, and if you’re working from home, it is always piling up. Therefore, you need to manage it. You can start by setting aside a day to sort mail and shred unnecessary paperwork in your Edmonton condo. You can also switch to paperless billing and unsubscribe from all the catalogues and mailing lists you no longer find interesting.
7. Use the 90-day rule
This rule works well when you are caught between keeping a particular item or disposing of it. It is simple; keep it for 90 days and if you haven’t used it by then, get rid of it. Ninety days may seem like a long time, and if you are likely to forget about your pledge, you can select a timeframe that best describes your usage habits and stick by it. That way, you will get rid of items you are convinced you don’t need.
8. Manage duplicate items
Chances are, you have a lot of similar things taking up valuable space in your Edmonton condo. If you only ever need five coffee cups, why would you want to keep 10? Get rid of the surplus cups and free up some space in your kitchen cabinet. The same applies to all other small items that you need but seem to have too many of them. Keep enough for you or your family, a couple more for the occasional guest, and dispose of the rest.
9. If it can fold
Some home items can easily be folded and tucked away to avoid taking up space. While this mostly applies to clothed items, it can also be the case for furniture. If you have a table that takes up too much space, you can either sell or donate it and get a folding one in its place. The same applies to your home office space and kids’ stuff; get folding furniture that can be stored away easily when not in use. That way, you will reduce the amount of clutter in your home.
10. Embrace multifunctional items
Why have two different items when one of them can serve both purposes effectively? To save space in your Edmonton condo, use multifunctional furniture like tables with drawers or a sofa that can also be used as a bed if your room is too small.
11. The one in, one out rule
One in, one out is an excellent minimalist rule that comes in handy in decluttering a condo. The idea behind it is that for every new item you bring into your home, you must take out another. It works so that there is a constant number of items in your house throughout.
To make the most out of the one in, one out rule, pair similar items. For instance, when you buy a new handbag, you can donate or sell an old one. The same goes for a pair of shoes, or trousers, socks, and t-shirts.
Nonetheless, it will require a lot of discipline and works best when combined with other ways of decluttering your Edmonton condo. You can also so it such that more items leave your home than they come in.
12. The ‘clean as you go’ strategy
This means that you get rid of clutter as soon as it comes up in your Edmonton condo; sort your mail the day it is delivered and remove extra stuff the moment it appears.
13. Set aside a clutter spot
Rather than leave your clutter where it appears, designate a corner or space in your Edmonton condo where you store away the items you don’t need. This will not only give your home an organized look it will also make it easier to get rid of any unwanted stuff when the time comes.
14. Use ‘before and after photos
If your Edmonton condo was too crowded before you started, it can be hard to track any progress. Thus, you can lose your morale and beat this. One way to beat this is by taking photos before you start and others after the session is over. By comparing the two sets of photos, you will be able to track your progress and keep your spirits up.
Another excellent way to keep your morale high as you declutter is to design a reward system. Once you have made noticeable progress, give yourself a small reward for the hard work.
15. Hire a professional
Last but not least, you can always hire a pro to help you declutter your Edmonton condo. This works well if you are unable to spare time to do the work by yourself. The good thing about having a professional is that they will not only leave your condo cleaner but may also implement excellent storage solutions that will help reduce cluttering in the future.
Once is Not Enough
Although all the listed methods are an effective way to declutter your Edmonton condo, the results are not forever. Therefore, you need to take some measures to ensure you don’t have to go through large-scale decluttering again. Here is what you can do to preserve your home space.
· Identify whatever personal habits bring clutter to your Edmonton condo and try to change or at least minimize. For instance, if your mess comes from too much shopping, avoid visiting malls and online stalls unless you absolutely need what you want to buy.
· Set aside some day of the week to clean your home and get rid of whatever little unnecessary items you find.
· Regularly donate stuff you don’t use or sell them.
Also, Rome wasn’t built in a day, so remember to be patient in your quest for more space in your Edmonton condo.